Sunday, July 10, 2011

Reading About Dieting


Image provided by dionsilva/morguefile.com
In addition to reading the 17 Day Diet book front to back in an effort to understanding it's diet principles, I read almost every book and article I can about dieting, weightloss and fitness principles.  Sure, I can't read them all, but I read as much as often as I can.

It really doesn't take that much time to weed out the informative stuff from the ones that regurgitate the same old BS. If you don't do this already, I suggest that you start today.  Nothing will remind your body how to behave better than filling your mind with the right information!

I found an article today on fitbie.com, "The Truth About Calories" that I hope you'll read.

Much of the article serves as a reminder to veteran dieters the importance of being conscious of our food choices and the importance of lifestyle changes like incorporating exercise.  What I really liked about the article most is that it stresses how it doesn't make much difference what diet we choose, reducing calories and revving up exercise is still the key. 

It is easy to become lost in the myriad of diets out there and wonder which diet is best and how to tackle losing weight. Even though many think that the 17 Day Diet is just a fad diet, I have always defended it, because I believe that any diet that I can stick with that works, is a good diet. In addition to that, I feel that any diet that gives me energy and incorporates healthy foods can't be considered a "fad".

While I have fallen off the wagon and climbed back on, I find that the 17 Day Diet's principles are now my fall-back position when I get serious about dieting or notice a few pounds creeping back. I still have some weight to lose and I admit I have given into temptation on occasion, but I am steadily improving my habits and reducing the number on the scale month over month.

Now, instead of my old, count-every-calorie diet that I used in my twenties and thirties, or the Atkins low carb diet that helped me slim down in my forties, the 17 day diet is now my diet standard. I wish I could lose weight and never have to "diet" again, but I guess that's not my lot in life.

I hope you enjoy the article.... and also feel good about following a diet that isn't really is a "fad" but is right in step with the times.

7 comments:

  1. Good morning,
    I wanted to start the program on Monday, but my kids left for camp and I wasn't prepared for the chaos. Now it is Wed, and I am struggling to focus on me. All I could see was I had five "catch up from summer" days that I spent clearing closets, etc. I keep thinking I will do it tomorrow, but almost a year later, I'm still saying the same thing. I had pretty good success with the 10 days I got through...ugh!! Should have kept going!! Any advice to jump on and stay on?
    P.S. I was just wondering if the picture on this post is you? It doesn't look like the pic saying "I'm Jan" down the side. Anyway, just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...no the picture in the post isn't me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. SO I did the first cycle and lost 10 lbs! Yea! But I have fallen off the wagon a bit on the 2nd cycle and feel lost. Should I go back to the beginning with Cycle 1 or start gain with cycle 2? Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on losing 10 pounds on cycle 1, that is awesome!

    To get back on track, yYou might want to try going back to cycle 1 for a 3-4 days and then back to the second cycle again. I found that adding in those starchy items that were allowed every other day stirred up my juices too. And the switching threw me off too. I actually enjoyed cycle 1 most.

    During the second cyle, try planning out each day's meals 1 day in advance to reduce the temptation of blowing it. I loved Dr. Mike's power cookies, so make them and freeze whatever you aren't allowed to eat for the next several days. I really enjoyed having that cookie on the days they were allowed!

    Remember, when you blow it not to beat yourself up. Just get back to it the very next meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been on the 17 Day Diet for 92 days for a loss of 35 LBS, and I cheat once a week, the key... you must be active and drink lots of water.
    I started 235, now 200 and getting lean.. today is 8/16/2011

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I agree about the water and staying active...keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. On day 8 of cycle two (round 2) after starting and finishing cycles one and two then going back to the beginning after vacation, so far lost 27 lbs in less than two months! It feels great and people are noticing, so excited and keeping my motivation to continue although the weight is coming off waaaay slower than in cycle 1. Read your posts and you have some great tips and recipes, thanks! Good luck in your weight loss journey!

    ReplyDelete