This recipe is delicious and filling, and works for every cycle on the 17 Day Diet. If you are worried about the cream cheese or milk, consider the similar ingredients in Dr. Mike's recipes at the back of the book (low fat cheeses and sour cream). Just be sure to use the low fat soup, cream cheese (Neufchatel) and skim milk and eat a reasonable portion, such as 1-2 cups per meal. One cup of this soup is a great low-calorie, low fat option when your stomach is growling! It is a staple at my house.
Crockpot Broccoli Soup
Makes 10 - 1 cup servings
14 oz. bag of frozen broccoli florets
1 small onion, chopped
3 cups water
3 cubes or teaspoons of chicken bouillon
1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup (Healthy Request)
8 Oz. package Neufchatel cream cheese
1 cup skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place broccoli and chopped onions into crock pot
- Heat water. When hot, add bouillon and mix to create broth
- Pour hot broth over broccoli and onions in crock pot.
- Add soup, 1/2 teas salt and a few shakes of black pepper
- Cook on high for and hour and a half or until onions are cooked.
- Turn heat to low and add cream cheese. Cook another half hour until cheese has melted, stirring occasionally
- Add milk and stir into soup mixture.
- Cook an additional 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Tip: You can use 2 cans of chicken broth in place of the bouillon if preferred. Adjust salt accordingly as the bouillon is usually saltier than the broth. Also, I found some of the broccoli florets a little too big for a soup spoon, so after the soup had cooked 1/2 hour I spooned out the larger florets and cut into smaller pieces.