Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad Light

Yesterday I went to a girls-only poolside party at a friend's home.  I was asked to bring a salad since she knew I was being diligent about my food choices.  I immediately thought of a favorite warm weather salad that I love - Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad! 

As soon as I thought of this side dish, I almost decided it was not a good choice because of the dressing and Ramen noodles. (Did you know that package of ramen noodles contains 2 servings for a total of 380 calories??)However, it sounded so good, and there is way more veggies in this salad than ramen noodles, so  I moved forward.

I have been determined to learn ways to eat the foods I love within my dieting guidelines, so I found several recipes online and developed a "lighter" version of this tasty salad.  The changes I made involved less oil, sugar substitute and leaving out the seasonings from the package (which would have added more fat and calories).  The best part is that it didn't taste any different to me and was a hit with my non-dieting BFFs. This salad would work for the 17 Day Diet once you've gotten past the Accelerate cycle. If you can't wait, make it without the noodles.

 Here's it is:

Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad Light

Makes 6 large servings (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cups)


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 head medium cabbage, shredded (or cole slaw mix)
  • 1-2 tender celery stalks (pieces) sliced thinly
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
  • 4 green onions, sliced thinly
  • 2 oz. sliced almonds
  • 2-3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 uncooked package chicken Ramen noodle mix (without the seasonings), crumbled
Dressing:
  • 2 T sesame oil
  • 5 teas. baking sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
  • 1 teas. low sodium soy sodium
 Directions:
  •  Mix cabbage, onions, carrots together in large bowl. 
  • Make Dressing -  In separate small bowl mix oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar substitute. Stir and refrigerate.
  • 1/2 hour before serving, add almonds, sesame seeds and crumbled dry Ramen noodles (without the seasoning packet) to salad and mix thoroughly.  Pour dressing mixture over salad and stir again. 
  • Refrigerate 1/2 hour and serve
Note: The Ramen noodles will soften after a few hours, so leftovers won't have the crunch like the salad did when fresh, however, that doesn't stop anyone from finishing them off!  :)

2 comments:

  1. If you think that you will get use out of the 200 plus body transformation recipes I am happy to include a link for you at the bottom of the page. Even though I receive a small referral bonus if you buy the book through the link on the bottom I will provide you with a fair assessment of the cookbook. … I am benefited by purchasing this book so I suggest you that if you want to learn cooking please collect this book from hearhttp://www.facepack.in?a_aid=shuvo701

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much vinegar does this recipe take? Did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete